Thursday, February 21, 2013

I/O in D.C. - By Kyle Swaim

First year I/O student Kyle Swaim

Who would have thought that Washington D.C., our nation’s capital, would be where I found out that Industrial-Organizational Psychology was my passion? Typically, this town is reserved for campaigning politicians, aggressive lobbyists, and big name think tanks, but to my surprise, I/O psychology was well recognized and much needed. I did my first post-grad internship at a mid-sized company in the D.C. area and was shocked by how much I did not know and got a glimpse into what exactly my future in I/O holds. This internship was a great opportunity and an enlightening experience that ultimately confirmed I/O Psychology as my passion.

Before I talk more specifically about my job in D.C. I will provide some background. For most of my undergrad career, I bounced from major to major trying to find the best fit for my personality and skill set. I tried out some biology, did civil engineering for a couple years (found out physics was not exactly my thing), tried some information systems, but I kept coming back to psychology. These classes were always captivating and each one showed me more about the field. However, I still had not found what I felt was my calling. Inside of psychology, I dabbled in everything from applied neurocognition to forensic psychology. After a great deal of thought it occurred to me that, at the heart of it, I want to improve people’s lives. And so I thought, where does the majority of our adult life take place? Well that is obviously wherever we are employed. So why not seek to apply the things we know about human behavior, cognition, and emotion to the workplace.

My internship in D.C. allowed me the freedom and gave me the resources to do just this. The company I worked with was an educational consulting business that employed tutors and consultants in order to enrich the academic development of students and learning institutions on the east coast. My job there, upon arrival, was very vague, which at first was intimidating, however, with time and a little direction, I began to understand what my role could be for this organization. Throughout my internship, I conducted employee attitude assessments, developed job analyses, and was essentially the lead recruiter for all tutors. From these various projects, I learned more than I had anticipated, but most significant was the necessity of authenticity. On several occasions, I found myself second-guessing my ideas and delivering guarded recommendations that were not representative of my potential. Towards the end of the summer though, I became more confident with my suggestions and more comfortable with my superiors. This led to the development of several projects and initiatives that I believe positively impacted the lives of many employees, and that I hope will serve as the foundation for numerous other ventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment